The secret gardens of Robert Caldwell: An exclusive interview

Άβαταρ μέλους
Τάκης

The secret gardens of Robert Caldwell: An exclusive interview

Δημοσίευση από Τάκης »

Εικόνα

Dear friends

Cigarsforum.gr is very happy to present you with an exclusive interview of international calibre. This is one of our very first efforts into reaching out and communicating with important people in the cigar scene; something we aspire to take much further in the near future.

We had the pleasure of getting in touch with a well-respected and of international fame cigar maker, whose work over the last few years has opened up new horizons in the cigar industry. Mr Robert Caldwell himself, was kind enough to respond to our call for an interview, exclusively for our cigar community.

Robert spoke to us about his past achievements, his current situation and of course his future plans with regard to the world of the precious blue smoke. He talked about his collaborative projects, his sources of inspiration and also shared with us several elements of his multifaceted and truly interesting activities.

In behind the scenes of this interview, we did of course arrange to meet with him in person, during his next visit to Greece and discussed the chance of organising a cigar-related event to celebrate the occasion; which was of a totally mutual interest.

Dearest Robert, once again we would like to thank you for your time. We are really looking forward into getting together with you soon.

Εικόνα

1. CF: Could you please tell us about your first steps in the cigar industry?

R.C: I started a hotel and restaurant distribution company in Miami about ten years ago. I had been an avid cigar consumer for a long time before that. I actually started the company with the intention of just being the investor. As things turned out, I ended up running it. It all began really as an accident.

2. CF: When and how did the Caldwell Cigar Co. project start?

R.C: Prior to Caldwell, I had started the Wynwood project in Miami with Christian Eiroa. We were good friends, but bad business partners. We parted ways and I immediately started planning the Caldwell brand. That was towards the end of 2013. We launched Caldwell in the spring of 2014.

3. CF: Given your big success with regard to your cigar blends; being a true pioneer, you have also introduced a new era of aesthetics, through your uniquely designed cigar bands and cigar boxes. We would really like to know, where do you harness this inspiration from and what drives/motivates you?

R.C: The truthful answer is everything. I have always been an entrepreneur and have always appreciated art and design. I became friendly with several artists, and spending time with them caused me to start to see things a little differently. I started seeing art and design in everything. Music has always influenced my creativity. Architecture is something that I currently am studying, which will probably be reflected at some time in the future in my designs.

Εικόνα

4. CF: We are aware of your several successful collaborations with other cigar manufactures over the years. But apart from the economical aspect, what is that really intrigues you into going after a collaboration?

R.C: I like to say that if I am an Italian chef, working out of an Italian kitchen, using Italian ingredients, and I collaborate with a French Chef who uses French ingredients in a French kitchen, what will the outcome be? The ingredients, methodology and character will be both French but also Italian at heart. That is how I see the collaborations. I am comfortable and specialize in a certain realm of the market, and collaborating allows me to enter other realms of the market with someone who is comfortable there.

5. CF: What is your current annual cigar production?

R.C: We product right around 1.8 million cigars a year.

6. CF: Have you identified the impact of your brand entering the European market? What have been the greatest challenges you have come across, while operating in this market?

R.C: For us Europe has been amazing. I love our European consumers. It gives us great pride that our cigars have been so well-received abroad. The largest challenge for me has been trying to get the right products into the right markets. It is not only about understanding the consumer palates, but also, the taxes, smoking laws, etc.

Εικόνα

7. CF: You are very well known and called a pioneer within the cigar industry. Could you tell us, what is your key to success?

R.C: Thank you. I have always followed my own instinct and never followed the rules. This led to my success, but could have equally led to my failure.

8. CF: Would you mind sharing with us, how is a typical day for you? What are the things you normally do?

R.C: This is a hard one because every day is different. I travel like crazy, so there is not much consistency. But I can tell you what I did today.
I wake up around 5am. I read for about three hours a day. Usually art, design, history and nature. I have a garden which I work in the morning. I spent approximately 6 hours on the phone and email. I worked on Design, packaging and some numbers. I have a meeting with an artist friend in the evening. I will cook a nice meal and relax with a cigar outside.

9. CF: If you could pick three cigars from your brand that are special to you, which would these three be? And why?

R.C: Eastern Standard - this was my first favorite. It is a lighter cigar, but very sophisticated.
Hit & Run - this is a collaboration with Matt Booth of Room101. This cigar is perfect to me. It is perfectly balanced, very rich, and has a ton of different subtle flavors.
Anastasia- I make this cigar with Ernesto Carrillo. This is a lighter cigar that builds with intensity through the finish. It is creamy, smooth and very rich. It has a ton of flavor, but not a ton of spice. This cigar has so much complexity that I still find new flavors after smoking it religiously for three years.
These are my choices, but I prefer lighter to medium bodied cigars. All of these cigars are mild to medium.

Εικόνα

10. CF: What is different between Robert Caldwell of Wynwood Cigars and Robert Caldwell of Caldwell Cigar Co.? What has changed since then?

R.C: I think that my palate is more refined. At Wynwood I was a bit restricted with tobacco as well...I was limited in what was available to me. Now, I have a lot more options and have never stopped searching for more.
What has changed since then?
I'm a bit older than I was. Also maybe a bit more realistic. The cigar industry is an industry of pure passion. I never understood when people said this. I thought that they meant that they loved cigars so much that everything was great. I have come to learn that it means that when everything is falling apart, you still push forward only on your passion.

11. CF: What would be your plans and your dreams for the future?

R.C: Shit I am moving to Greece to enjoy the good life! There is no good saganaki in Miami.

12. CF: We would love to see your cigars been distributed and sold in our country. Are there any plans to do so? Any piece of information on the matter you could kindly share with us?

R.C: I would love to. I haven't met a Greek distributor yet.

Εικόνα
These users thanked the author Τάκης for the post (total 9):
goutsouΣτάθηςAssosTournesolPetransuleygiannisalexandrosMixalis81harmonica
papa was a rolling stone...
Άβαταρ μέλους
goutsou

Re: The Secret Gardens of Robert Caldwell: An Exclusive Interview

Δημοσίευση από goutsou »

Wow! Congratulations on the interview with one of the men who are thinking outside of the box on the other side of the Atlantic. I wish even bigger success in the future and waiting anxiously for more interviews with people who are shaking the world of cigars.
These users thanked the author goutsou for the post (total 2):
alexandrosΤάκης
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
Stephen Hawking
Άβαταρ μέλους
admin
Site Admin

Δημοσίευση από admin »

It's a promise Stelios!
Special thanks to Tournesol (Thanos) for his help with the interview.
These users thanked the author admin for the post (total 4):
TournesolΣτάθηςalexandrosMixalis81
Άβαταρ μέλους
Assos

Δημοσίευση από Assos »

Congratulations to all members of the forum For this effort. A man who tries and stands out for diversity.
Mr Robert Caldwell thank you for your time!!
We hope to see you soon
These users thanked the author Assos for the post (total 2):
alexandrosΤάκης
You Miss 100% Of The Shots You Don't Take.
You Need To Start Shooting At Your Goals
Άβαταρ μέλους
alexandros
Founding Fathers

Δημοσίευση από alexandros »

Robert thank you for your time
and we hope to see you in greece
These users thanked the author alexandros for the post (total 2):
Τάκηςsuleygiannis
οὔτε γὰρ ἄρχειν οὔτε ἄρχεσθαι ἐθέλω
Άβαταρ μέλους
Fairlight

Δημοσίευση από Fairlight »

It's really an honour having such an interview here, many thanks to Mr Caldwell for finding the time to answer all these questions. It's a shame we're able to smoke so few of his cigars here.

I think it's a very interesting interview and it goes without saying that if and when he decides to move here he'll find many cigar-smoking friends.
These users thanked the author Fairlight for the post:
Τάκης
Sate~yurosu

Πες μου. Τι είσαι??? Είσαι pleb? (Project: the pleb sessions)

Τα λέμε το άλλο καλοκαίρι.
Άβαταρ μέλους
Greekos

Δημοσίευση από Greekos »

Amazing concept and fantastic work from everyone involved in materialising this interview!
I love Robert Caldwell's work, ever since I was introduced to his "My style is Jalapeno" from Kapetanios and Eastern Standard.
His passion for cigars and life comes to life every time I read or watch his interviews! :ugeek:

In my recent visit to the US I managed to get a large collection of Caldwell and collaborations cigars to explore further.

Thank you for gracing us with your thoughts and time for this interview dear Robert and I hope to get to meet you one day in Greece or the UK (only recently Caldwell cigars are distributed here and very limited range)
Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το μέλος Greekos την Πέμ Μαρ 14, 2019 11:02 am, έχει επεξεργασθεί 1 φορά συνολικά.
These users thanked the author Greekos for the post:
Τάκης
Άβαταρ μέλους
Tournesol

Δημοσίευση από Tournesol »

Robert, thank you for taking the time to share with us a glimpse of your story so far. This is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Thanos
These users thanked the author Tournesol for the post:
Τάκης
Unyielding force of thought and spirit, shine!
Άβαταρ μέλους
Τάκης

Δημοσίευση από Τάκης »

These users thanked the author Τάκης for the post (total 8):
PetranGreekosTournesolsuleygiannisHarisalexandrosFairlightAssos
papa was a rolling stone...
Άβαταρ μέλους
Petran

Δημοσίευση από Petran »

Great interview!!! Thanks Mr Caldwell ;)
Hope to see you soon in Greece!!!
These users thanked the author Petran for the post:
Τάκης
Tο "πούρο" είναι κάτι πολύ (και πολλά) περισσότερο από ένα πούρο
Τάκης, Έλληνας Aficionado
Απάντηση

Επιστροφή στο “Interviews”